This vegetarian taco salad pizza combines beefless grounds, salsa, lettuce + spinach mix, diced tomatoes, black olives, cheddar cheese, red onions and dollops of sour cream + red pepper flakes to finish it off. Everyone will love this spin on the classic taco salad, especially pizza lovers!
My family and I recently went out to a restaurant for the first time since the pandemic started over a year ago and we decided on a Mexican restaurant. I am the biggest fan of the taco salads that come in that crispy taco shell and stuffed with all of the things! That is where the inspiration for this pizza came from.
Typically, taco salad has ground beef or chicken so I decided to swap that out for Gardein Beefless Ground Crumbles and add my own taco seasonings. What a dream! It’s delicious.
Vegetarian Taco Salad Pizza Toppings
Store bought pizza dough is my favorite because it is very predictable and the end result is always great.
The base of this pizza is salsa but if you don’t have any on hand you could try pureed tomatoes instead.
If you aren’t a fan of alternatives to meat then you could swap this out for taco seasoned black beans.
This can be store bought or freshly shredded. You could also try other cheeses to your liking.
Not everyone is a fan of red onion so you could skip this and maybe add green onions for a milder taste.
A cup of black olives are used in this recipe but feel free to use however much you’d like.
Lettuce + Spinach mix
The spinach is totally optional but I added it for the extra nutrition since spinach doesn’t contribute much flavor.
Vine tomatoes are the most flavorful but you could use whatever tomato you have on hand.
Half of an avocado was used in this recipe but if you’re an avocado fan don’t be shy in adding more of those healthy fats!
A few dollops of sour cream here and there is perfect to add when the pizza is hot out of the oven so that it melts a bit before eating, yum!
Red Pepper Flakes
If you don’t like spicy then you can skip the red pepper flakes.
Vegetarian Taco Salad Pizza
Vegetarian Taco Salad Pizza
- 1 package store bought pizza dough or homemade
- ¾ cup salsa
- 1 package beefless grounds you will have extra
- 1 recipe taco seasoning mix
- 2 cups cheddar cheese shredded
- ½ small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 cup black olives sliced
- 1 handful lettuce shredded
- 1 handful spinach shredded
- 1 vine tomato diced
- ½ avocado sliced
- ½ cup sour cream dollops
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1¼ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1½ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Preheat the oven to 475°.
- Add beefless ground to a skillet on low heat, if frozen add ½ cup water.
- Add taco seasoning to the beefless ground and mix until well incorporated.
- Shape the dough and place on a pizza pan with parchment paper. Poke holes in the dough with a fork and bake for 4-5 minutes.
- Take the dough out of the oven and let cool for a second. Add the salsa, 2 cups of beefless ground, shredded cheddar cheese, sliced red onions and half of the black olives.
- Place pizza in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Once the pizza is done mix the shredded spinach and lettuce together and place on top of the pizza followed by the remaining black olives, diced tomato, sliced avocado, dollops of sour cream and a good sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
Did you try this recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know how you made out and share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #vegfordin.