This fresh vegetarian herbed ricotta pizza is the perfect recipe for spring. It has a nice crispy crust, herbed ricotta, creamy provolone cheese, zesty lemon and asparagus. A quick, easy and delicious dinner recipe that the whole family will love!
I am so excited to share this herbed ricotta pizza recipe with you!
A couple weeks ago my family and I went to a local farm and brewery and not only did they have amazing beers but they also had amazing wood fired pizzas!
When I was younger, pizza wasn’t my favorite but I’ve turned into somewhat of a pizza connoisseur over the years and now I just can’t get enough of it.
Everywhere I eat, the cogs in my brain start turning trying to figure out how this meal can be recreated. This herbed ricotta pizza recipe is a result of that.
This pizza is a great recipe for the Spring because fresh herbs and asparagus are ready to use from the garden. if you don’t have a garden, no problem! They are plentiful in the grocery store at this time and because they are in season they are super fresh!
Herbed Ricotta Pizza Ingredients:
- Pizza Dough: If you have the extra time, homemade pizza dough is delicious and economical but if you’re in a pinch for time like I usually am then go for store bought pizza dough.
- Herbed Ricotta: This is just regular ricotta but fresh chopped herbs of basil, oregano and chives are added to make it herby and delicious!
- Provolone Cheese: I used the regular round sandwich slices but if you can find another version of provolone that should work too.
- Lemon: Peel a lemon and cut 4 to 5 super fine slices. Place them on top of the pizza and press them down a little into the cheese.
- Asparagus: Chop off the tips of the asparagus because this is the only part that will be used on top of the pizza.
- Chives, Red Pepper Flakes and Black Pepper: Toppings for garnish!
How to make Herbed Ricotta Pizza:
- Preheat oven and prepare pizza dough- Preheat the oven to 475°F and place the dough on a pizza pan with parchment paper. With your fingertips, start working the dough from the center to the edges for desired shape. Poke holes in the dough and bake for 5 minutes. Once done pull it out of the oven and set aside.
2. Make the herbed ricotta- Chop the basil, chives and oregano and add them to a bowl with the ricotta plus pink salt and pepper. Stir together and set aside.
3. Get toppings prepared– Chop the provolone cheese into cubes, cut 4-5 super thin slices of lemon and chop the tips off of the asparagus.
4. Add the toppings to prepared pizza dough – In this order: herbed ricotta cheese, cubed provolone cheese, lemon and asparagus.
5. Bake pizza- Place herbed ricotta pizza in the oven and bake for 12-16 minutes until the crust starts browning and the cheese is nice and melty.
6. Add garnish- Pull the pizza out of the oven and add chopped chives, red pepper flakes and cracked black pepper on top. Serve and enjoy!
More vegetarian pizza recipes to try:
- Heirloom Tomato and Goat Cheese Pizza with Artichokes
- Eggplant Parmesan Pizza
- Vegetarian Taco Pizza
- The Best Greek Pizza
Herbed Ricotta Pizza
- 1 cup ricotta
- 1 tbsp chives chopped small
- 2 tsp fresh basil chopped small
- 2 tsp fresh oregano chopped small
- ½ tsp pink salt or sea salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
Herbed Ricotta Pizza
- 1 pizza dough store bought or homemade
- 1 cup herbed ricotta
- 5 slices provolone cubed or shredded provolone
- 1 lemon peeled, 4 to 5 super thin slices
- 1 bunch asparagus tips only
- chives garnish
- red pepper flakes garnish
- black pepper garnish
- Make the herbed ricotta by chopping the basil, chives and oregano and add them to a bowl with the ricotta plus pink salt and pepper. Stir together and set aside.
- Prepare toppings: Chop the provolone cheese into cubes by stacking the slices together and slicing horizontally and vertically. Peel lemon and cut 4-5 super thin slices of lemon. Chop the tips off of the asparagus. (Don't waste the leftover asparagus, just oil them up, add some salt and pepper or parmesan cheese and roast them in the over at 425 degrees Fahrenheit for 12-15 minutes.)
- Add the toppings to prepared pizza dough in this order: herbed ricotta cheese, cubed provolone cheese, lemon and asparagus.
- Bake pizza: Place herbed ricotta pizza in the oven and bake for 12-16 minutes until the crust starts browning and the cheese is nice and melty.
- Add garnish: Pull the pizza out of the oven and add chopped chives, red pepper flakes and cracked black pepper on top. Serve and enjoy!
Did you try this recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know how you made out. Share your photo on Instagram by tagging @vegfordin and #vegfordin.