Easy Hoisin Glazed Tofu. A super easy vegan tofu dish that is high in protein, has a minimum amount of ingredients and a maximum amount of flavor! This simple yet drool-worthy dish is made up of crispy tofu, green onions, hoisin + soy sauce and served over rice.
What is hoisin sauce made of?
Hoisin sauce is a thick, dark sauce made from fermented soybeans. It has a sweet and salty taste that goes well with many different dishes. Hoison sauce is usually made with a starch such as sweet potato, sesame seeds, chili pepper, garlic and other spices.
How to make crispy tofu?
There are a couple different ways of making tofu crispy but the best advice I have for you is to make sure you buy super firm tofu which is even more firm then extra firm. Pat the tofu dry with paper towels and cut into cubes. These are two of the best ways of making crispy tofu:
- Bake – It’s best to use parchment or a really good non stick baking sheet. Coat in a mix of oil, cornstarch and pink salt. Bake at 425 degrees for 30 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Pan Fry – Coat cubed tofu in a mix of oil, cornstarch and salt. Add 2-3 tablespoons of a high heat oil to a skillet (I use avocado oil). Fry each side for 2-3 minutes on medium heat until golden brown.
How to make Easy Hoisin Glazed Tofu
When I say easy, I mean it! I’ll walk you through an easy step by step process through photos because I find it the most helpful.
The recipe calls for super firm tofu (I love Nasoya and Trader Joe’s super firm) which doesn’t require pressing but I’d recommend using paper towels to absorb any extra liquid once you remove it from the package. You’re going to start off by slicing the tofu into cubes. In a big bowl add 1 tablespoon oil, 2 teaspoons cornstarch and 3/4 teaspoon pink salt and mix together until thoroughly combined. Add the tofu to the bowl and coat every piece evenly.
Now add 2 tablespoons of a high heat oil to a skillet. Once hot, add the tofu to the skillet and cook for 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown. Break a couple pieces of the tofu up with the spatula so that you can have some crunchy bits (optional). Once the tofu is done crisping up, set aside on a plate.
Add the tofu back into the skillet with the green onions and hoisin. Mix the sauce and tofu together until evenly coated then add the soy sauce and combine everything together. Serve immediately.
That’s it! Easy peasy and SOOO delicious. Serve over a bed of rice and you’ve got a healthy, complete, high protein vegan meal that everyone will love. Enjoy!
More vegetarian dinner recipes
Easy Hoisin Glazed Tofu
- 1 package super firm tofu cubed
- 3 tbsp avocado oil or any high heat oil, divided
- ¾ tsp pink salt or sea salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 4 green onions cut into ¼-½ inch pieces
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- sesame seeds garnish
- Cook rice according to package instructions.
- use paper towels to absorb any extra liquid from tofu. Then slice the tofu into about 1 inch cubes.
- Now add 2 tablespoons of oil to a skillet. Once hot, add the tofu and cook for 2-3 minutes each side until golden brown. Break a couple pieces of the tofu up with the spatula so that you can have some crunchy bits (optional). Once the tofu is done crisping up, set aside on a plate.
- To the same skillet add 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil. Once hot, add the green onions and cook for one minute then add the hoisin sauce and mix well.
- Add the tofu back into the skillet with the green onions and hoisin. Mix the sauce and tofu together until evenly coated then add the soy sauce and combine everything together. Serve immediately over a bed of rice and garnish with fresh green onions and sesame seeds.
Did you try this recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know how you made out. Share your photo on Instagram by tagging @vegfordin and #vegfordin.