Cheese Tortellini with Pistachio Spring Pesto and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes. It’s spring so why not take advantage of some of the earliest spring harvests by making one of my most favorite foods on this planet, PESTO!
Pea shoots make up the bulk of this pesto because it’s in season and adds a tiny bit of sweetness. I wanted to keep with the theme of different ingredients for my spring pesto so I decided to give pistachios a try. I’ve experimented with different kinds of nuts in my pesto in the past and everything I’ve tried has worked out deliciously.
To be honest, I don’t think I ever want to use any other nut going forward, the pistachios were such a pleasant surprise. They are nutty with a slight touch of sweet.
You can’t have an awesome pesto without an awesome pasta so I thought a cheese tortellini would be fitting and adding the roasted cherry tomatoes on top were the perfect acidic addition to balance it all out.
What you need for Pistachio Spring Pesto:
Pesto is so easy to make! Just throw everything into a blender or food processor and mix until smooth.
After making the pesto the rest is a breeze. Prepare the tortellini by bringing 4 quarts of salted water to a boil, add the tortellini to the pot and boil for 14 minutes.
While the tortellini is boiling preheat the oven to 400°F. Add the cherry tomatoes to a parchment lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, garlic powder, salt and freshly cracked pepper. Roast for 15-20 minutes. Tada, the dish is nearly done.
Next you’re going to strain the tortellini and add it back to the same pot. Add the pesto and mix until evenly combined. Grab a few plates and serve a generous portion of the pesto tortellini to each.
Top the tortellini with the roasted cherry tomatoes and garnish with pea shoots, crushed pistachios and freshly grated parmesan cheese. Enjoy!
More vegetarian dinner recipes:
- “Sausage” and Spring Vegetable Sheet Pan Dinner with Lemon Garlic Aioli
- Eggplant Parmesan Pizza
- Arugula Blueberry Salad with Farro, Candied Nuts and Creamy Blueberry Goat Cheese Dressing
Cheese Tortellini with Pistachio Spring Pesto and Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 package cheese tortellini
Pistachio Spring Pesto
- 2 cups pea shoots
- ½ cup basil
- ½ cup pistachios
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup parmesan cheese grated
- ½ cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp lemon juice
Roasted Cherry Tomatoes
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ salt
- ¼ freshly cracked pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add the cherry tomatoes to the baking sheet and drizzle them with olive oil. Add the garlic powder, salt, pepper and mix until evenly coated.
- Roast in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- While the tomatoes are roasting, add 4 quarts of salted water to a big pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the tortellini and boil for 14 minutes.
- In the meantime, make the pistachio spring pesto by adding all of the ingredient to a blender or food processor and mix until smooth. Add more salt to you're liking.
- Strain the tortellini and return back to the same pot. Add the pesto to the tortellini and mix until evenly distributed.
- Pull the tomatoes out of the oven.
- Serve the pesto tortellini with the roasted cherry tomatoes on top with a garnish of extra pea shoots, crushed pistachios, freshly grated parmesan cheese, salt and pepper.
Did you try this recipe? Leave a comment below and let me know how you made out and share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #vegfordin.